Now that there has been a little bit of time since the Sandy Hook tragedy, I will offer a few of my thoughts. ...
On a day that rocked the nation, many of us teachers were heartbroken and dumbfounded... We looked at our students with a little more grace. We gave more attention than usual to hurt knees, hearts, and feelings. We paused and thanked God for what we had been given... After each student had left my classroom that afternoon, I stayed for a few hours, putting up art projects, planning lessons for the next week of Christmas Chaos, and listening to Christmas music. In reality, I was hiding for a few hours from what I could not understand.
{Soap Box time}: I made a mistake of going on FB after work.... In less than 10 hours following the tragedy, people were using it as a platform for/against gun control. I do not agree with social media being a place for political agenda, but I will say this: nothing that either side said that day was effective for me. I was disgusted and saddened that instead of allowing time for grief and sadness, people used it as a stepping stone. Not only was I disgusted by the monster who killed the 27 people who would not spend another Christmas with their friends and families, but I was disgusted by people I knew and don't know for using such a heart-wrenching time as a way to make a point. I realize in my saying this, that I am also making a point... But, in all this, I URGE you to think before you type. Love before you speak. Process before you blurt. Sometimes, there are no answers.
No comments:
Post a Comment