Monday, June 23, 2014

Summer Lovin' and Catchin' Up!!

Well, it has been awhile! Let me catch y'all up on the last 8 months of my life....
In November, I found out I was going to get to be an auntie again. Ethan is the most enjoyable nephew, and he will be a great big brother to his brother, Logan, in July. (Next month!) Ethan has learned so much, and his vocabulary is A-MA-ZING for a two year old! I can't say enough positive things about this great boy!! I also went to Mexico with our youth group as staff in November. We had a great time, and I really appreciated the experience as a way to serve and be served.
In December, I was busy with many, many things getting ready for Christmas. I was desperately trying to avoid turning 30. On the 27th, my birthday, I spent much of the day in the hospital with my mom as her younger sister was in the hospital. She had some conditions that had kept her in and out of the hospital over the past few years, but this time was clearly different. She and I were close, as I was her first niece, and was born before she was married with kids. She waited until 2:58 a.m. on the 28th to pass. I see it as a testament to how much she loved me. She didn't want to ruin my day. I still miss her so much, but am glad she is in heaven with her beloved husband, my uncle Jeff. The evening of my birthday was spent with close friends celebrating at dinner. The next weekend, my girls picked me up after my aunt's service to go out of town for some r&r. I have to admit that my spirits were lifted by my encouraging, fabulous friends. They worked SO hard to make it a great time, especially my best friend, and it WAS. We got out of town for some shopping, great food, and togetherness.
January marked a new beginning, I just didn't know it yet. 2014 has been a year that has shaped my life, and it is only June! January included the fun of the 100th day of school! We had a great time!!
February brought many of the big changes for 2014.  I made the decision to start looking for a new position over our "Ski Week." I knew that I was taking a huge leap of faith, but I also knew that God had something in store for me. I prayed on it, and then started working on my search. I have NEVER had the peace I felt when I began my search, as well as during the time leading up to where I am now. The criteria on my wish list for my new school: Smaller district, a school that is not an "overflow" school, something close to my current salary (I was, however, willing to take a cut), and a grade level in the primary range.
March brought a few interviews, all after school hours. We did so many fun Dr. Seuss activities during the week of his birthday.
On April 1, I was home due to a doctor's appointment, and received a call from a local school district that I had interviewed with about a week prior. They wanted to offer me a job "somewhere between K and 3." I was asked if this would interest me. This district fit all of my criteria! ALL of my criteria. Of course I said yes, after I checked to be sure it was not an April Fools Day joke! And I knew in my heart of hearts that this was the position for me. I signed my contract a few days later... I mean, does God know, or does God know? During spring break, I went to Disneyland again. I love Disneyland. It is worth EVERY penny spent on my annual passport.
In May, I started realizing that my year was winding down quickly. We did so many things as a class, and I was proud of the progress my students made. We did a lot of review and team-building, and my students were excited every time I said "you are proving that you are ready for first grade!"
Our last day of school was June 5, with a teacher work day on the 6th. I found out on the 2nd that I would be  teaching kindergarten again next year. I was excited, as my new district uses the same curriculum as my former district. I don't have to learn new material on top of making new friends, setting up another classroom, and learning the ropes in a new district. So. SO. AWESOME!
Since school has been out, I have been to a SF Giants game, read a LOT, caught up on some of my tv shows on Hulu and Netflix, and am getting ready for yet another trip to Disneyland.
 I am excited for my new position and the way everything feels to be coming together.
I can't wait to update you all on what I have done to get ready for next school year!!
Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment