On Thursday, I finally finished what I had promised my sister in law and brother at one of the showers: frozen meals. Not "Lean Cuisines" or "Healthy Choice" frozen meals... Homemade meals made and frozen for later consumption when they got home from the hospital...
It really is very simple to do. It took me a little less than 2 hours to prepare and package 4 meals... I went with recipes that were not very spicy considering my sister in law doesn't like spicy and my nephew doesn't really like "'picy" either. Most of these meals are very simple to assemble. I cooked
most of them before adding them to the foil pans, except the ravioli bake. The four meals I chose were:
Ravioli Bake
This was the easiest meal to assemble. Layer sauce and raviolis and top with cheese. Cover with plastic wrap, then foil, then include the following instructions:
Bake at 375 degrees for 30-45 minutes, depending on "doneness" of ravioli.
*****Be SURE to remind recipient to remove plastic wrap before reheating and that the foil pans CANNOT go in the microwave!!*****
Chicken Enchilada Casserole (found here) IGNORE THE SOUR CREAM. I put that in the wrong place when I was taking pictures :)
After assembling according to recipe, wrap plastic wrap across top of pan and then cover with foil and attach reheating instructions.
*****Be SURE to remind recipient to remove plastic wrap before reheating and that the foil pans CANNOT go in the microwave!!*****
1. Brown 1 pound ground beef in a skillet with black pepper, salt, and season salt (use your own spices, if you prefer)
2. While cooking the beef, boil 2-3 cups of pasta in a large pot of boiling water until tender.
3. In the foil pan, mix the beef and pasta with a jar or large can of spaghetti sauce along with 2 drained cans of mixed vegetables (or veggies of your choice).
4. Top the mixture with cubes of cheese or shredded cheese.
5. I added a little bit of pasta water to keep the noodles from being too crunchy when reheating.
Cover with plastic wrap, then with foil and add directions to heat at 350 degrees until cheese is fully melted.
*****Be SURE to remind recipient to remove plastic wrap before reheating and that the foil pans CANNOT go in the microwave!!*****
Tater Tot Casserole
For the Tater Tot Casserole:
Ingredients-
*2 cans cream of chicken
*One can of corn drained OR 1.5 cups frozen corn
* One bag of frozen Tater Tots
*1.5 lbs of Ground beef
In the foil pan:
1. Flatten beef on bottom of foil pan in an even layer.
2. Spread cans of cream of chicken across beef
3. spread corn across soup
4. Layer tater tots across top of casserole
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
6. After removing pan from oven, allow to cool for 5 minutes before stretching plastic wrap across the top and then covering with foil. Attach reheating instructions to foil layer.
*****Be SURE to remind recipient to remove plastic wrap before reheating and that the foil pans CANNOT go in the microwave!!*****
I know I have put this warning on every time, but it is an important one! :)
Place all your foil pans in the freezer until you deliver them to your recipient. I also made and froze mini-loaves of homemade bread as a treat.
If you don't have the time to make frozen meals, but still want to provide dinners for a family with a new baby, a loss in the family, or someone who is going through a time where making dinner is the last priority on their list, I also recommend Take Them A Meal. I have also set up a site for my brother and sister-in-law for the days when they want visitors. It also allows friends and family to send a meal from local eateries, in case they don't live in town but still want to bless others in this way. I HIGHLY recommend this website!!
Well, I am off to get ready for tomorrow... I get my classroom keys finally!! WHOO HOO!
Erin
No comments:
Post a Comment